Skip to main content

How to pick a GREAT private music teacher



Might sound like an odd subject for a music teacher to choose to write about.  But hear me out on this.  I have had to do this very thing several times as a studio owner when I need to extend our sub contractor reach.  I can only teach so many hours in the day.  I love what I do, I feel I am good at what I do (and my retention rate and students who go on to higher education also backs up that statement) but I still have room to learn and grow.

I feel that a GREAT private music teacher is one who doesn't treat their teaching schedule as a job.  A person who truly loves sharing their knowledge, goes the extra step (few minutes or mile) to not just stop the learning because the clock says TIMES UP!  A person who doesn't put a dollar amount on every minute.

Now do not get me wrong, I make a living at being a private music teacher.    I also work a lot more than the average american work week because I give a lot of lessons away too.  I also own the studio, so other things are my responsibility on top of my teaching schedule.

So, some key questions to ask your potential educator.    Is education your primary goal?  If they are actively teaching, are a member of teaching organizations, have written teaching programs, these are all great signs of an educator.

Do you actively perform?  Will that performance schedule interfere with your teaching schedule?  If the answer is yes to both of these questions, ask yourself if your schedule is flexible enough to handle repeated changes.  I myself do still perform, but if it is going to interfere with my students lesson time, I don't take the assignment.  I have canceled Saturday lessons just twice to perform in weddings, and both of those were a former student and a family members ceremony.  If I must miss a lesson I do my best to have a qualified teacher cover for me (shout out to Ms. Karla and Ms. Doreen!)  I value your families time and schedule.

Once lessons have started, is your educator available to answer questions?  Most questions should be asked during the actual lesson time, so that your educator might demonstrate or explain by example.  But questions do come up outside of lesson time.  Is your teacher available to return phone calls, emails?  Do you feel rushed, or told we will discuss that at next week's lesson repeatedly?

Is your educator respectful of your time?  Is he/she close to schedule?  Waiting for your musician with a smile?  Prepared to start?

Are you offered outside events?  Performances or Recitals?  Is your teacher in attendance?  Do you feel that your teacher is supportive of your musicians accomplishments?  Does your teacher show interest in your musicians other interests?  

I feel being an educator is not just about teaching music.  It's about nurturing the whole student.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Recommended Digital Keyboard/Piano for Beginner Musicians and why we like them

YAMAHA P71 88-Key*  Yamaha P71  Action Digital Piano with Sustain Pedal and Power Supply (Amazon-Exclusive) Why do we like this keyboard? No bells, whistles or lights Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get optional stand Don't have the space for a full sized keyboard? Here is a smaller size Why do we like this keyboard? Minimum acceptable size of 61 keys responsive touch keys has power source Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get  optional stand   Casio CT-X700 61 keys No matter which brand or size you purchase, keep in mind that the minimum requirements are: 61 keys Touch Sensitive, Touch Responsive, Weighted or Semi-Weighted Keys A pedal will be needed at some point in the future.  *These items were available at Amazon on publication date of this post.  As an Amazon associate we will receive a small percentage of your purchase at no cost to you if you purchased through our link.  

Summer Time is a Great Time to Start Piano Lessons

  Got those Summertime Blues?  Why not turn them into music?  Summer is a great time to explore an instrument.  Piano is the 'gateway' to all other instruments.  Theory comprehension comes's easiest as it is literally black and white!  At Keys & Strings we combine lesson studies with fun popular arrangements, so the student always feels accomplishment in their new music exploration.  We have posted a previous blog on our educators recommendations, but wanted to provide our families with a way to explore other options.   Best Digital Keyboards for Beginner's

Commitment

Learning an instrument takes commitment. Commitment from the student (to apply their newly taught techniques at home)  It takes 10,000 hours to master any new skill.  That's a lot of music making. Commitment from the parent.  Bringing the student to their lesson weekly, on time.  Giving their student a comfortable, well lit place to practice.  Helping their young musician be patient, learn time management, apply reading of pitch and addition/subtraction of rhythm counting. Just as importantly, commitment from their teacher.  Commitment to be there, waiting with a smile.  Commitment to be prepared, and attentive.  Commitment to CONTINUITY.   To be a good teacher takes talent, knowledge and skill.  To be a GREAT teacher, you must always make it about your students first. Commitment to the students, is what Ms. Sandie, Ms. Joanna, Ms. Doreen and Ms. Stacey are all about.