Skip to main content

An essay from a student

 
 
 
Hello all! I'm Paige! In fourth grade, I took up the violin in the public school systems, more than a year ago I started taking private violin lessons at this fine establishment of Keys and Strings, and now I am a part time employee here. Being a junior in high school, it is not easy for me to be juggling not only school work, but also my job hours and violin practices, lessons, and ensembles. For many instrument players, this is a common situation, some even have sports added to the list. So how do you manage all these activities without hindering your instrument practice?
Well for starters, PUT DOWN THE PHONE. Easy right? Nope. This is the new struggle of people living the 21st century generation. We are the first to actually grow up and live around all these high tech gadgets. These gadgets effect people of all ages, but the same technologies that make you glued to them can actually help you un-glue from them. Many apps from Apple and Android let you lock your phone and focus at the task at hand. Fingers twitching from being away from your phone for too long? Too bad, you still have 10 minutes, keep practicing!
For all my middle school and high school students; use study hall or flex periods to your advantage. Again, get off your phone and do your homework. Then, you can focus more on your practicing and job (if you have one). If your schedule isn't packed then of course you can do whatever you want. For me, I don't have a study hall for the first half of this school year and I have to work my part time job, practice for CMEA auditions, Keys and String's Baroque Ensemble, and high school ensemble(s) and complete my homework including AP assignments. So yes, I'm regretting not having a study hall right now. Please don't take it for granted, it is there to help you not hinder you.
Now for the actual practicing part, space it out, DO NOT CRAM. If you were studying for the SAT coming up would you study everything the night before and hope your brain is still functioning properly the next day? I would think not. Not only is your brain working hard, memorizing notes while practicing, but your fingers and wrists are too. Too much practice can lead to serious muscle problems. From personal experience, last year when auditioning for CMEAs, I would practice so much in one or two days of the week that the ulnar nerve in my wrist would flare up, causing ring and pinky finger (and wrist) to throb. I wore a brace for about 2 weeks after CMEAs; fun times. Point is, practicing for 1-2 hours at a time will do more harm then good. 15- 30 minutes a day is more than enough. That will also give you more time to do the more fun stuff like doing homework or chores . And if you feel like you're still lacking in practice, give you hands at least 2 hours to recuperate from the last practice you did. Doing finger and wrist exercises before and after will also benefit you. And if you didn't practice like you should've, just be honest with your private tutor. Telling them will help them plan out your lesson accordingly.
So these are some of the points that help me, I hope they help you too. Feel free to ask questions down below. Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Recommended Digital Keyboard/Piano for Beginner Musicians and why we like them

YAMAHA P71 88-Key*  Yamaha P71  Action Digital Piano with Sustain Pedal and Power Supply (Amazon-Exclusive) Why do we like this keyboard? No bells, whistles or lights Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get optional stand Don't have the space for a full sized keyboard? Here is a smaller size Why do we like this keyboard? Minimum acceptable size of 61 keys responsive touch keys has power source Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get  optional stand   Casio CT-X700 61 keys No matter which brand or size you purchase, keep in mind that the minimum requirements are: 61 keys Touch Sensitive, Touch Responsive, Weighted or Semi-Weighted Keys A pedal will be needed at some point in the future.  *These items were available at Amazon on publication date of this post.  As an Amazon associate we will receive a small percentage of your purchase at no cost to you if you purchased through our link.  

Summer Time is a Great Time to Start Piano Lessons

  Got those Summertime Blues?  Why not turn them into music?  Summer is a great time to explore an instrument.  Piano is the 'gateway' to all other instruments.  Theory comprehension comes's easiest as it is literally black and white!  At Keys & Strings we combine lesson studies with fun popular arrangements, so the student always feels accomplishment in their new music exploration.  We have posted a previous blog on our educators recommendations, but wanted to provide our families with a way to explore other options.   Best Digital Keyboards for Beginner's

What recital means to me.........

Today's the big day. I never sleep well on 'Recital Eve'. Where'd the stands go, who took the pedal? We forgot to get the programs done? (Promise, they are done, and they are bigger than ever!) Recital to me is so many different things. I always have flashbacks to four years ago when I was so afraid it was my last recital with my 'kids'. Or the triumph of three years ago (I'm still here!). I remember Jay M's first recital, with his crouch like bow and huge smile. Jillian's realization that she did a GREAT job and then how it was even better for me when she invited me to her Christmas Pagent and she played the organ just a few short months later. Or the time Rachel stopped half way through....the entire time I was thinking that has the phrasing but doesn't sound exactly right............and she FLIPPED THE PAPER from top to bottom. Oh how we all laughed on that one. In my mind, there are 130 different stories just like this one. I have been blesse