Skip to main content

Perception of why I dismissed a student

The Webster definition of perception is

Definition of perception


1a a result of perceiving observation

b a mental image concept

2obsolete consciousness

3a awareness of the elements of environment through physical sensation 
  • color perception

b physical sensation interpreted in the light of experience

4a quick, acute, and intuitive cognition appreciation

b a capacity for comprehension

perceptional

 play \pər-ˈsep-shnəl, -shə-nᵊl\

It is funny how our perceptions of a situation can be so different from another's .  

I had an aspiring student many years ago.   He started with me as a toddler and based on my perception of the situation I dismissed his family when he was 10-years old .  He started  on violin first, then piano as well .   I loved this young man as a musician, a student and a person.     I thought I had a good relationship with his family .  
In 2007 I had major surgery .   Only his and one other family paid me for the month I was laid up .  Not expected, but totally appreciated .   Then things changed (again my perception)
I would sometimes sit down when teaching.  Either from exhaustion OR so a student who was shorter than me could see my fingering technique.   As  this young man WAS shorter than me I had to do this often .  His parents informed me i was NOT to sit during his string lessons.   That they had read that good teachers do not do this.  OUCH  
Then they removed him  from piano studies with me, sending him to a big music school in a nearby city as it was, in  his Mothers own words the other school was more prestigious . OUCH AGAIN
 He started to get snarky .  I sensed he wanted to stop violin.   I talked with him about it and he denied it.    But  he wasn't practicing, was holding his bow incorrectly all of a sudden.    Whenever I mentioned it to his parents I was told I should have fixed it years ago .   But, he never had this issue years ago... . 
He also started snapping his bow on the floor .   I would repeatedly tell him not to do it .   So much so that his Father said during a lesson he didn't want to hear me tell him that anymore .  He said this to ME and not his child.  
On Good Friday  2007 I gave him his last lesson .   His Father left me a check and then said to me I thought I made it clear we don't want you sitting in his lessons .   I was tuning .  I ignored him.    He said he would be back in an hour.   Then as his son and I got to work he started to snap his bow on The floor  to the beat of  his accented words "YOU CAN'T TELL ME NOT TO DO THIS".   I knew that moment i would no longer be teaching him.    
I  voided the check and wrote a letter that stated I didn't think that Little Man (his nickname) was receptive to my style of teaching anymore and I wished him well .   
Why this long story?    I just ran into this young man working his summer job.    Still a gentleman.  So polite.   I  asked if he remembered me .  Told him who i was .    He was visibly shaken, uncomfortable and even took a step back.    We made small talk .  I asked of his musical endeavors and college career .   He asked if I still had the studio.   Asked if I was still at same place i said we had moved to a different location .   And he replied and  did you cull out some students.    And he looked angry .    I said I had and always will love him as a person but I felt we weren't connecting anymore.   That I was sorry if saying hello had made him uncomfortable and I said good luck and went back into the waiting area. .   
I wonder if he and his parents remember these things I mentioned as I do .     I feel badly that perhaps they told him things that were not true.  Little Man, I wish you well.
Always think about how others perception of a situation can affect a relationship or performance.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Recommended Digital Keyboard/Piano for Beginner Musicians and why we like them

YAMAHA P71 88-Key*  Yamaha P71  Action Digital Piano with Sustain Pedal and Power Supply (Amazon-Exclusive) Why do we like this keyboard? No bells, whistles or lights Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get optional stand Don't have the space for a full sized keyboard? Here is a smaller size Why do we like this keyboard? Minimum acceptable size of 61 keys responsive touch keys has power source Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get  optional stand   Casio CT-X700 61 keys No matter which brand or size you purchase, keep in mind that the minimum requirements are: 61 keys Touch Sensitive, Touch Responsive, Weighted or Semi-Weighted Keys A pedal will be needed at some point in the future.  *These items were available at Amazon on publication date of this post.  As an Amazon associate we will receive a small percentage of your purchase at no cost to you if you purchased through our link.  

Summer Time is a Great Time to Start Piano Lessons

  Got those Summertime Blues?  Why not turn them into music?  Summer is a great time to explore an instrument.  Piano is the 'gateway' to all other instruments.  Theory comprehension comes's easiest as it is literally black and white!  At Keys & Strings we combine lesson studies with fun popular arrangements, so the student always feels accomplishment in their new music exploration.  We have posted a previous blog on our educators recommendations, but wanted to provide our families with a way to explore other options.   Best Digital Keyboards for Beginner's

What recital means to me.........

Today's the big day. I never sleep well on 'Recital Eve'. Where'd the stands go, who took the pedal? We forgot to get the programs done? (Promise, they are done, and they are bigger than ever!) Recital to me is so many different things. I always have flashbacks to four years ago when I was so afraid it was my last recital with my 'kids'. Or the triumph of three years ago (I'm still here!). I remember Jay M's first recital, with his crouch like bow and huge smile. Jillian's realization that she did a GREAT job and then how it was even better for me when she invited me to her Christmas Pagent and she played the organ just a few short months later. Or the time Rachel stopped half way through....the entire time I was thinking that has the phrasing but doesn't sound exactly right............and she FLIPPED THE PAPER from top to bottom. Oh how we all laughed on that one. In my mind, there are 130 different stories just like this one. I have been blesse