Skip to main content

A Learning Moment................

Please take a moment and watch this video of a young musician......






You might have had lots of different thoughts going through your mind as you watched.  Some pitches were off.  Her rhythm was stalled.  She herself made a face at the end of the song.

That's not what I saw.  I saw a student who has struggled to read music while playing keep her eyes on the page more than her violin.

I saw a student start to recognize when to use her fourth finger.  Was it in pitch all the time?  No.  But she saw when she should use it, and she tried.

I saw a violin start to fall and this young lady lifted it back up without my reminder.

I corrected her once.  Later in the song she made a mistake and self corrected, without my reminder.

I saw a musician.  I am quite proud of this young lady.

Taking lessons does not a musician make.  Following and retaining directions does.

Ms. Sandie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Encouraging Your Young Musician to Practice

Encouraging Your Child to Practice Their Instrument: A Parent's Guide As parents, we want the best for our children. We want them to excel in academics, sports, and extracurricular activities. One such activity that holds immense value is learning to play a musical instrument. Whether it's the piano, guitar, violin, or any other instrument, the benefits of musical education are plentiful. However, getting your child to practice their instrument consistently can sometimes feel like a challenge. In this blog post, we'll explore some effective strategies to encourage your child to practice their instrument with enthusiasm and dedication. 1. **Set Clear Goals**: Help your child set achievable short-term and long-term goals related to their musical journey. These goals could include mastering a particular piece, improving technical skills, or participating in a recital. Having clear objectives gives your child something to strive for and helps them stay motivated. 2. **Create a ...