Skip to main content

Rosin, What is it? Why do I need it?

Rosin is made from conifer (evergreen) trees.  Some rosins will smell like a Christmas Tree after you apply it to your bow.  It will not hurt your fingers or your clothes.  But it can hurt the varnish on your violin, so make sure that you wipe down your instrument after each play.

In the summer I tend to use Light Rosin*, as it works better in the high humidity in our area.  I won't recommend a particular brand, but I do like Hill brand from England.  Light Rosin tends to be harder, and won't get as sticky in the heat of the summer months.

 

I switch over to Dark Rosin* in the dryer air seasons.  It's a bit softer, and adheres better.


 

Price DOES matter.   Cheap one dollar rosin will not be the best quality.    But Rosin does not need to be a break the bank product.  $12-$20 will be a better quality rosin and it will last.

Some educators say you must knick up the rosin the first time you use it.  I personally have never done this, I heard my first teacher tell my Grandfather that it was a fallacy started by the rosin manufacturing companies so that you went through more rosin!    The horsehair on the bow has miniscule hairs (microscope visible) and the rosin will adhere to the hair as you go across it.  So I will continue to NOT knick my rosin and you do what feels right to you.

Rosin will help with sound projection and tone by helping the bow hair grab onto your violin strings. 


*as an Amazon associate we will receive a small percentage of the purchase price if you click through our link (at no extra charge to you)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Encouraging Your Young Musician to Practice

Encouraging Your Child to Practice Their Instrument: A Parent's Guide As parents, we want the best for our children. We want them to excel in academics, sports, and extracurricular activities. One such activity that holds immense value is learning to play a musical instrument. Whether it's the piano, guitar, violin, or any other instrument, the benefits of musical education are plentiful. However, getting your child to practice their instrument consistently can sometimes feel like a challenge. In this blog post, we'll explore some effective strategies to encourage your child to practice their instrument with enthusiasm and dedication. 1. **Set Clear Goals**: Help your child set achievable short-term and long-term goals related to their musical journey. These goals could include mastering a particular piece, improving technical skills, or participating in a recital. Having clear objectives gives your child something to strive for and helps them stay motivated. 2. **Create a ...