Skip to main content

Consistency of attendance/practice IS what makes progression happen


A past first place fiddle student showing off her trophy. 


A music lesson taker does not a music maker make.    My Grandfather used to say this tongue twister to me when I would complain about practicing.  I never really forgot him saying that, but it came back into mind full force with some recent events at the studio.

It was recently put in writing to us, that WE were the problem in a families lack of continuity for their children's music progression.  A point that I contemplated, as I do want to be critiqued if I am at fault, and I want to make corrections and adjustments if were were the problem.

So, I went back to start dates for both children.  I shared this family with another educator.  We compared notes on attendance.  This is what we found.

Both children were quite attentive when with us.  Both children were very bright, and could have made excellent musicians.

One child, in a group class, attended three out of twelve lessons paid for.  One of those three she arrived late, and it was pointed out to me that no one was waiting for her when I noticed she wasn't in her group class.  I knew they had arrived late, but just whisked her into her room.  (And why her mother didn't just bring her into her room is beyond me).  When they withdrew her (claiming that they had a lengthy conversation with our office manager via email, though she never participated in this email conversation as she never got one) I was verbally told that they withdrew her due to our disorganization.

The other child, who I myself taught, was on my schedule for 4 months.  We were closed for two of those 17 weeks lessons as part of our 48 per lesson schedule.  The family was also on vacation for one of those closures.  I myself had a sick day, which I rescheduled and Dad forgot to bring the child.  I tried to reschedule again and Mom shrugged it off.  So out of 17 weeks the child should have had 15 lessons.

He arrived late for 4, so shortened lessons.  That leaves 11 lessons.  He arrived at the wrong time for another lesson (no lesson).  9 left.  They didn't show 5 times, and I rescheduled four of them, because I felt this child was that potentially gifted.  This means, he had four full lessons without incident.  Oh, let's not forget the two lessons that he didn't have books.  Or the fact that out of 4 months I was only paid on time the first month.  AND the last month they couldn't pay me as they were going on vacation and I still worked with them, requesting only half a months payment, as I wanted him so much to have lessons (Dad wasn't going to bring him as they weren't going to pay me).  When it was time for me to be paid for half of a month, no money was sent.

So, 15 lessons due, he took 4 complete lessons. I only expected payment for 12.   I feel the one that I rescheduled and Dad forgot to bring him to was on them.  I feel the late/no show lessons were on them.  I was there for EVERY LESSON I was committed and obligated to offer this young musician.

I also witnessed this mother get angry at her young child for NOT practicing at home, berating him verbally in front of me and other parents. That was the last time I saw the mother, who wrote such an eloquent email to BLAME ME for lack of consistency and progression.  The child was in 1st grade.

Another recent discussion on progression (or lack of progression) I was asked to intervene/investigate as they felt the teacher was not attentive enough.  That lessons were shortened.  I myself was aware of tardiness at least 24 of the last 32 lessons. Arriving late means you only get what is left of your slot.   There were several no shows.  In talking with the student, he only practiced his piano music AT HIS LESSON.  This was due to him studying not just piano but several other instruments plus voice at other studios.  He also had tutoring in several languages, math and science.  Oh, let's not forget dance and swimming. When I made these points to the parents, I was told he does practice, he loves music.  It was confirmed that he practices each of his instruments 30 minutes a week (at the lesson). This is not practice.  This is called lesson time.  This student is in 5th grade.  Oh, and he has been pulled out twice for 30 days at a time to travel abroad (he has been in study with us for almost two years)

So, the TEAM effort of parent/musician/educator is this:

We do all we can in the 30-60 minutes we see your musician.  They should come to us well rested, fed,  and on time.  They should enjoy their time with us, be attentive and a good listener.  All educators at Keys & Strings make notes on assigned pages, with dates, and with colored tabs. Some of us even require notebooks.  There is no excuse to hear "I didn't know what to practice".  All educators at Keys & Strings speak to parents at the end of each lesson.   If we feel that further discussion is needed a phone call/email is made.

Every student is different as is every educator.  But the goal is the same.  To love what you are learning, and to aspire to excel.   It does not happen by osmosis.  Students do not become proficient musicians without applying the craft repeatedly.   Would you have brain surgery from a first year med student?  Would you EXPECT them to know what to do? Of course not.

Advancement to the next piece is not done for advancements sake.  Learning to read music, be proficient in counting rhythms, recognizing key signatures, understanding technique AND creating great music are the goals we set for all of our students.  We give them the tools to reach those goals.

They have to do the 'dirty work'.  Scales can be boring.  Make it a game.  Scales and Arpeggios can be fascinating.   Test yourself on remembering the proper formula for your scale assignments.  Do the appropriate scales to match your assigned pieces.  Figure out their relative minor.  Play those.  Work on pieces in sections.  Have you ever tried to play a piece backwards?  Try to memorize sections.  After doing all of these steps run through the entire piece several times.  Time will fly, you will be surprised at how much you can accomplish.

Parents want to help?  Don't nag.  Get involved!  Ask them to teach you a song.  YOU practice your assignments.  Lead by example.

We all want the same things.  For your musician to be the best musician he/she can be.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Recommended Digital Keyboard/Piano for Beginner Musicians and why we like them

YAMAHA P71 88-Key*  Yamaha P71  Action Digital Piano with Sustain Pedal and Power Supply (Amazon-Exclusive) Why do we like this keyboard? No bells, whistles or lights Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get optional stand Don't have the space for a full sized keyboard? Here is a smaller size Why do we like this keyboard? Minimum acceptable size of 61 keys responsive touch keys has power source Weighted keys Place on table you already have or get  optional stand   Casio CT-X700 61 keys No matter which brand or size you purchase, keep in mind that the minimum requirements are: 61 keys Touch Sensitive, Touch Responsive, Weighted or Semi-Weighted Keys A pedal will be needed at some point in the future.  *These items were available at Amazon on publication date of this post.  As an Amazon associate we will receive a small percentage of your purchase at no cost to you if you purchased through our link.  

Summer Time is a Great Time to Start Piano Lessons

  Got those Summertime Blues?  Why not turn them into music?  Summer is a great time to explore an instrument.  Piano is the 'gateway' to all other instruments.  Theory comprehension comes's easiest as it is literally black and white!  At Keys & Strings we combine lesson studies with fun popular arrangements, so the student always feels accomplishment in their new music exploration.  We have posted a previous blog on our educators recommendations, but wanted to provide our families with a way to explore other options.   Best Digital Keyboards for Beginner's

Commitment

Learning an instrument takes commitment. Commitment from the student (to apply their newly taught techniques at home)  It takes 10,000 hours to master any new skill.  That's a lot of music making. Commitment from the parent.  Bringing the student to their lesson weekly, on time.  Giving their student a comfortable, well lit place to practice.  Helping their young musician be patient, learn time management, apply reading of pitch and addition/subtraction of rhythm counting. Just as importantly, commitment from their teacher.  Commitment to be there, waiting with a smile.  Commitment to be prepared, and attentive.  Commitment to CONTINUITY.   To be a good teacher takes talent, knowledge and skill.  To be a GREAT teacher, you must always make it about your students first. Commitment to the students, is what Ms. Sandie, Ms. Joanna, Ms. Doreen and Ms. Stacey are all about.